By Mette Hjort, Ursula Lindqvist
A spouse to Nordic Cinema provides a set of unique essays that discover one of many world’s oldest nearby cinemas from its origins to the current day.
- Offers a complete, transnational and local account of Nordic cinema from its origins to the current day
- Features unique contributions from greater than dozen overseas movie students established within the Nordic international locations, the U.S., Canada, Scotland, and Hong Kong
- Covers a variety of subject matters at the targeted evolution of Nordic cinema together with the silent Golden Age, Nordic movie coverage versions and their impression, audiences and cinephilia, Nordic movie education, and indigenous Sámi cinema.
- Considers Nordic cinema’s engagement with worldwide audiences via insurance of such issues as Dogme ninety five, the avant-garde filmmaking circulation started via Danish administrators Lars von Trier and Thomas Vinterberg, and the worldwide advertising and marketing and distribution of Nordic horror and Nordic noir
- Offers clean investigations of the paintings of world auteurs akin to Carl Th. Dreyer, Ingmar Bergman, Lars von Trier, Aki Kaurismäki, and Roy Andersson.
- Includes essays on Danish and Swedish tv dramas, Finland’s eco-documentary movie creation, the rising culture of Icelandic cinema, the altering dynamics of Scandinavian porn, and lots of more
Read or Download A Companion to Nordic Cinema PDF
Best film & television books
Shakespeare motion pictures within the Making examines the construction and reception of 5 feature-length Shakespeare motion pictures from the 20 th century, targeting the ways that they articulate visions in their Shakespearean originals, of the fictitious worlds during which the movies are set, and of the movie-makers' personal society.
The examine of style has exploded in fresh a long time, but what this all means or quite the place it may possibly take us isn't really transparent. This new e-book is helping to deliver model into concentration, with a complete advisor to the foremost theories, views and advancements within the box. Tim Edwards contains insurance of all of the significant theories of favor, together with contemporary scholarship, along subcultural research and an in-depth examine construction.
The 1st international conflict has remained the topic of prose fiction, drama, and movie throughout countries. This quantity presents a entire foreign survey of the cultural reminiscence of the struggle as mirrored in numerous media. It addresses the position of those media in maintaining and (re)shaping the reminiscence of the warfare, emphasizing the historic, socio-political, gender-oriented and post-colonial contexts of its cultural representations.
Attractive movie is an inventive, interdisciplinary quantity that explores the engagements between movie, area, and identification and lines a bit at the use of movies within the school room as a serious pedagogical instrument. targeting anti-essentialist issues in movies and movie construction, this booklet examines how social and spatial identities are produced (or dissolved) in movies and the way mobility is used to create diversified stories of time and house.
- Action and Adventure Cinema
- Cahiers du Cinema: 1969-72: The Politics of Representation
- The Sitcom Reader: America Re-viewed, Still Skewed
- Indian Literature and Popular Cinema: Recasting Classics (Routledge Contemporary South Asia Series)
Extra resources for A Companion to Nordic Cinema
Handlingsplan 1999–2002. Copenhagen: Danish Film Institute. DFI. 1999a. Resultatkontrakt 1999–2002. Copenhagen: Danish Film Institute. Accessed December 30, 2014. aspx. DFI. 2003. Handlingsplan 2003–2006. Copenhagen: Danish Film Institute. Accessed December 30, 2014. aspx. DFI. 2006. Nye mål: udfordringer og perspektiver for dansk film 2007–2010. Copenhagen: Danish Film Institute. December 30, 2014. aspx. DFI. 2007. Handlingsplan 2007–2010. Copenhagen: Danish Film Institute. Accessed December 30, 2014.
The international branding of Danish film was further enhanced with the Dogme 95 manifesto, initiated by among others Lars von Trier and Thomas Vinterberg, as a relaunching of a European art cinema concept with historical dimensions (Hjort and MacKenzie 2003). Politics, busi ness, and genuine interest in developing film as an art form run through the policies and funding mechanisms of the DFI and go hand in hand with Zentropa’s interna tional strategy (Finney 2010, 80f; Pedersen, Boutaiba, and Pedersen 2009, 113ff ).
Trier’s international, female “rival” on the international film scene, is Susanne Bier, also, until recently, a Zentropa director. However, despite clear inspiration from a European art cinema tradition in some of her films, among them her Dogme film, Open Hearts (Elsker dig for evigt), Bier tends to use mainstream narratives and a more mainstream style in her psychological and social dramas. An indication of this is that her breakthrough to a large Danish audience, The One and Only (Den eneste ene, 1999) a classic romantic comedy, remains the most seen film in Danish cinemas since 1990.
A Companion to Nordic Cinema by Mette Hjort, Ursula Lindqvist